Rabbi Mendel Mintz Announces Chabad Community Center Building Project
ASPEN, Colorado – November 14, 2012 – Rabbi Mendel Mintz, Executive Director of the Chabad Jewish Community Center in Aspen, Colorado, announces the start of construction for a new facility to house the center’s activities. The community center, founded in 1998, is currently operating in a residential home. As Rabbi Mendel Mintz explains, with a growing membership it’s important for the center to offer a facility large enough to serve the local community.
The new Chabad JCC will be located on the corner of Fourth Street and Main Street, overlooking the beautiful Aspen Mountain. According to Rabbi Mendel Mintz, the plan has been in the works since 2004, when the Chabad Community Center acquired the property.
Mendel Mintz and the staff at Chabad offer programs for adults and children in the JCC’s current facility. Participation isn’t limited to Orthodox Jews. In fact, Mendel Mintz emphasizes that Chabad attempts to provide a place where the entire Jewish community can come together and share information.
The new facility will offer the following features, according to Mendel Mintz:
- Allowances for growth to at least quadruple its current membership of hundreds. According to Rabbi Mintz, this includes four times the enrollments and offerings at the planned facility.
- A preschool that offers the latest updated equipment and play areas, including both indoor and outdoor areas for children.
- New classrooms for those learning to read Hebrew and attend other classes taught by Rabbi Mintz and the Chabad staff.
- Rooms to hold retreats and meetings. As Mendel Mintz describes, these rooms will be ideal to bring members together to share ideas and learn from each other.
- A library to house research materials and cultural center.
- 3,000 square foot ballroom for holiday parties and family simchas. According to Mendel Mintz, the Aspen community will also be able to rent the ballroom for special events.
- A commercial kitchen, which Mendel Mintz states will be fully equipped with the tools needed to support parties and events.
- A Judaica shop.
- A modern Mikvah.
- Sanctuary and lecture hall.
- Center for children and teen. Rabbi Mendel Mintz describes this as a children’s discovery center and a game room to keep teens entertained.
According to Mendel Mintz, the facility will also have a lower level ideal for future expansion. The new facility will support Chabad Community Center’s commitment to open communication and learning among members, with comfort as a top priority.
This building project was launched during the most difficult period of the recent economic downturn. Rabbi Mendel Mintz emphasizes that the center has been extremely patient during this time in an effort to maximize its investment. Thanks to its careful timing, the Chabad Community Center will be able to complete construction at a fraction of the cost it would have incurred before.
Rabbi Mendel Mintz informs members that during construction, services and classes are being held at the Center’s temporary location at 557 North Mill Street. For more information on Rabbi Mendel Mintz and the services of Chabad Community Center, visit the JCC’s website at http://www.jccaspen.com.